Having one of the best vacuum cleaner and using it every few days is a great way to pick up surface dirt and give a nice look to your carpets, but when it comes to giving a more thorough cleaning, using a professional, it can work wonders. In fact, most carpet manufacturers recommend that you have your carpets professionally cleaned every 12-17 months. Having that work done is not cheap, to be sure, but you can stretch your dollars by purchasing or renting a carpet cleaner and giving your carpets a once-over a little more often. You will save money from professional cleaning, which is easily recouped after a few uses. The question remains, however, which carpet cleaner is the best?
One look in an appliance store is all you need to be convinced that there are many carpet cleaners on the market today, each one claiming to be the best. They all tout their features, including “the ball,” “double-cleaners,” and much more. The truth is, however, what do those really mean and how do they affect how clean your carpets get? Below is a list of some of the most common concerns of those looking for a carpet cleaner, then we will list the top seven of what are generally considered to be the best cleaners that meet these criterion.
How well do they pick up dirt and soil?
How well do they extract water and soap after they have been applied?
How easy are they to operate?
How easy is the owner’s manual to understand?
Are the machines certified by the UL and other testing groups?
Which cleaners came out the winners?
1. BISSELL ProHeat 2X Healthy Home Full Sized Carpet Cleaner, 66Q4 . For over-all cleaning ability, the Bissell Pro Heat 2X Healthy Home Deep Cleaner is a pretty good deal, mainly due to the heating element in it that keeps your solution hot. This is the biggest stand-out advantage, but there are plenty of other attractive bells and whistles. This by itself boosts the cleaning performance, but taken as a whole, this is a pretty good machine. It comes with a one-year limited warranty (which is only good if you use Bissell’s brand solution) as well as a stain guarantee from Scotchguard.
This is a nice machine, compared to some of the best vacuum cleaners, it is easy to use with lots of clearly described features. It does a great job of getting carpets clean, especially in high traffic areas. It’s also good about getting up most of the water and solution that was put down. The only drawback is its weight, which might be tough for a lot of users, especially if they have planned to cover the whole house in a short period of time.
2. Hoover Max Extract Dual V WidePath Carpet Cleaner, F7412900 . If you have wall-to-wall messes on your carpeting, the Hoover Platinum Collection Carpet Cleaner F7412900 is probably perfect for you. Not only can it pick up more than a gallon of your messes, but it also features a LED headlight that will help guide you in pursuit of those disasters. Hoover offers a limited six-year guarantee on this machine.
This machine is pretty easy to use and features, among other things, a spot clean button that sprays concentrated amounts of your cleaner where it might need extra work. It’s also easy to use, despite being a little heavy to push around. Also worth a word of caution, it will pick up only about half of the solution it puts down, which means you will probably need extra time to let it dry after you are done.
3. Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 Pet Pack . If you are having commitment issues, and you are unsure whether to rent or buy, the Rug Doctor Mighty Pro might be just the thing for you. Having it around is great, but if you only want to rent, the one-day fee will be well worth the money. The manufacturer offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
This machine is very effective at getting a lot of dirt up, even from high-traffic areas. It’s also easy to control and use, although especially with the water added it’s quite heavy to maneuver. It only picks up about half of the water that it puts down, which makes a quick dry difficult. The handle is difficult for taller people to use since it goes backward and forward, but not up and down. As a result, a taller operator will be spending a lot of his time hunched over to use this one.
4. BISSELL PowerSteamer PowerBrush Full Sized Carpet Cleaner, 1623 . For the carpet cleaner on a budget, this is a good one to have. Not only is it relatively inexpensive to purchase, but it does a great job and is easy to store due to its compact size. It also picks up a lot of water, so drying time is less. The manufacturer offers a one-year limited warranty.
It’s heavy but is worth the money. Further, the tanks are easy to fill and empty. The manual is also easy to understand. There are no attachment for stairs or upholstery, so you’re out of luck in those departments.
5. Hoover Steamvac F7412900 Dual V Upright Vacuum Cleaner Black Include an 8-foot Hose for Long Reach and Removable Tool Caddy . the good news for this handy cleaner is that it’s packed with features that would otherwise be found on more expensive models. There’s a spill pick-up feature, an automatic shut-off, and a single tank where you add your concentrate cleaner, eliminating the need for pre-measuring your solution. The manufacturer offers a limited one-year warranty.
This cleaner picks up about half the water it puts down. Further, the wide handles on the machine make it easier to maneuver. This is a good cleaner for overall us, but seems to have a problem with heavy-traffic areas. It’s a little heavy to move, but the controls are easy to use.
The list above describes some of the most popular brands and types of carpet cleaners. Although this is in no way intended to be complete, for general use and price variety, this is a good list. There are obviously some cleaners that are more expensive, as well as those that are cheaper, but for the options offered, this could be considered the creme de la creme of carpet cleaners.